switch to standard display
Our Family History
Notes:
St Philip’s was an Edwardian church built in 1904 on land donated by the Eighth Duke of Devonshire, opposite the then Church Schools in Whitley Road. The architect was Charles Edward Powell of London (a cousin of Lord Baden-Powell of Scouting fame) and it was built by the local firm of Peerless Dennis & Co, using bricks made in Hampden Park. The church was 134 feet long, 42 feet wide across the nave and some 50 feet high.
The cost was around £6,800, but lack of funds meant that the church was never fully completed, and the intended bell flêche above the chancel arch, an impressive porch and additional side aisle shown in the original plans were unrealised. St Philip’s was consecrated by the Rt Rev E R Wilberforce, Lord Bishop of Chichester, on 28 March 1905 before a full congregation that occupied the 384 seats (the original plans had 720 seats). It remained a Chapel of Ease (“daughter church”) to its Mother Church, Christ Church in Seaside, until it became an independent parish on 16 September 1925. It was demolished in 2005
Address : Latitude: 50.777130863103, Longitude: 0.29086947441101
Media
| Family Photos |
 | BUDD Lynda (Christening) (At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.) |
ChristeningMatches 1 to 2 of 2
ConfirmationMatches 1 to 1 of 1
First CommunionMatches 1 to 1 of 1